Fluidmaster Fix It Zone
Need More Than One Flush To Clear Toilet Bowl
An incomplete or very weak flush can be caused by, low water level in the tank, the flapperclosing too soon, a clog in the trap, sewer pipe or vent pipe. Build up of calcium and other minerals in the rim feed holes can also cause an incomplete or weak flush.
Low Water in Tank - Check the water level first and adjust your float higher to increasewater level.
Flapper closes too soon - Check the length of the chain. Chain slack for most toilets shouldhave ¼ to ½ inch of slack, adjust if needed.
To determine if you have a clog in the trap way, sewer pipe or vent pipe
- Fill a bucket with one or more gallons of water and quickly pour into the bowl. If the bowl flushes normally then there is no blockage down the trap, sewer pipe or vent pipe that is effecting normal flushing. If it swirls but does not flush or has a weakflush then the clog is in the trap, drain pipe or vent pipe. Try a plunger to clear the toilet first. If this is unsuccessful then use a toilet auger. An Incomplete Flush can also mean a clogged Vent Pipe. The Vent Pipe is located on the roof. It is generally a 2” to 3” ID pipe that rises one foot above the roofline usually above toilet. You caneither run a snake down the pipe, or purchase a Blow bag, also known as anexpansion nozzle or water pressure bulb. It attaches to the garden hose and will expand 2-3” to seal the pipe before water gushes out the end. Water then blowsdown vent pipe to clear any obstruction into the sewer line.
- If it does flush then the problem is located in the toilet.
Cleaning out the bowl to improve flush
- Use a screwdriver or a wire coat hanger, to ream out the rim holes and starter hole of the bowl of calcium & mineral build up.
- Turn off water supply
- Drain the tank and tie flapper open.
- Pour one cup of Lime-Away Toilet Bowl Cleaner down the flush valve opening. Let it sit for at least one hour.
- After an hour, pour another cup of 1/2 Lime-Away & 1/2 water, mixed, down the flush valve opening. Close the flapper immediately and turn on water. Flush toilet 2 or 3 times to rinse and check.
- This condition should clear up, if not, you may need to do the above steps again.