Repair when Flushing
Determining your toilet's noise and how to fix it
This article defines simple solutions for:
1. GHOST FLUSHING: This can happen intermittently, cycling every few minutes or every few hours
2. FILL VALVE HISS: A noise that is constant and sounds like forced air moving through the toilet.
3. WATER RESONANCE: (constant thumping) A noise you hear when the toilet is flushed and the toilet is running water during its flush cycle
1. GHOST FLUSHING:
This refill sound is alerting you that your toilet is losing water, either internally (if there’s no water on the floor or exterior of toilet) or externally leaking if you see water outside the toilet.
Internal Water Loss:
- Check refill tube first: If refill tube is inserted or shoved into the overflow pipe, remove it and reattach clipping the tube to the overflow pipe. This will keep the tube from entering the overflow pipe and stop the leak.
- Clean bottom of the tank and flapper area and replace flapper.
- Replace flush valve drain (last resort if 1 and 2 do not resolve the issue).
External Water Loss:
- Water draining from bottom of tank around fill valve and water supply connection: Leaks coming from the bottom of the fill valve that have been in use for a long period of time (not new installations) should be removed along with the supply line and replaced.
- Water draining from the bottom of the tank from the fill valve and water supply connection: Remove fill valve and clean bottom of tank both inside and outside. Make sure the shank washer is placed on fill valve first (it is designed to seal tank from the inside of tank) and install valve. Hand tighten the fill valve lock nut. If using water supply line older than 5 years replace supply line.
- Leaks coming from under the tank onto the toilet bowl: These leaks indicate failed bolt seals. The tank to bowl gasket and toilet bolts with washers should be replaced.
Watch this video to fix ghost flushing of your toilet:
Here are some steps for removing the top cap and flushing out debris from the fill valve:
- Turn off water supply and flush the tank.
- Reach inside the tank with your right hand under the float cup and lift it up. With your right hand hold onto the gray shaft keeping the float cup all the way up. Do not allow the float cup to drop or valve shaft to turn.
- Place your left hand on the top of the valve cap and while placing your left hand thumb on the side of the arm coming out of the top. Turn the cap and arm counter clockwise 1/8th of a turn to unlock. You should be able to lift off the cap and lever from the valve body.
- Once the cap assembly has been removed inspect for debris on the seal (rubber disc with pin coming through) and also the valve portion still in the tank.
- Hold a cup upside down over the exposed opening of the valve and turn on the water supply full force for 10-15 seconds, allowing the pressure to free any debris inside the valve inlet.
- Reassemble the top of the valve by placing the cap arm next to the refill tube. To lock, press the cap down while turning it and the arm clockwise.
- The bottom hand is lifting up on the float cup which raises the black arm under the top cap. The top hand is gripping the cap while the thumb is pressing on the raised lever arm.
Watch this video on how to remove and replace cap assembly of the fill valve:
- Use a regulated fill valve to stop noise like our 400AH PerforMAX® Fill Valve or the 400H PerforMAX® Toilet Fill Valve: PerforMAX® fill valves come with a regulator built into the valve to slow down the incoming water by reducing the speed by the incoming water we can stop the resonance noise that is occurring.
- If a PerforMAX® Fill Valve does not stop the problem then the buildup of debris in your shut off valve is so severe we recommend replacing the shut off valve at the wall.
If you need to replace any of the toilet parts, why not get Fluidmaster’s Everything Kit includes everything you need to fix your toilet in one purchase?
If you have a 2″ flush valve, we recommend the 2″ Everything Kit
If you have a 3″ flush valve, we recommend the 3″ Everything Kit